Google News: Google urges court to overturn EU’s $1.6 billion antitrust fine | International Business News

BRUSSELS: The Google Alphabet unit on Monday urged Europe’s second-highest court to dismiss a 1.49 billion euro ($1.6 billion) fine imposed by EU antitrust regulators ago three years for hampering rivals in online search advertising.
The case is one of three that has resulted in a total of €8.25 billion in antitrust fines from the European Union on the world’s most popular internet search engine.
The European Commission, in its 2019 ruling, said Google abused its dominant position to prevent websites from using brokers other than its AdSense platform that provided search advertising. The Commission said the illegal practices occurred from 2006 to 2016.
Google then challenged the EU’s decision before the Luxembourg Court. The company will present its case in a three-day hearing starting Monday.
The EU competition authority’s assessment of Google’s dominance and the Commission’s decision that search ads and non-search ads do not compete were wrong, Google said. in a court document.
He also challenged the Commission for saying that Google’s exclusivity, premium placement and minimum ad clauses were unfair.
Google suffered a setback last year when it lost its legal battle over a €2.42 billion antitrust ruling over the use of its own comparison shopping service to gain an unfair advantage over smaller rivals Europeans.